Wednesday, June 29, 2005

my fengshui has been righted

The familiar scents, colours, people, food... they whiz through my mind as if in a blender. Colliding, evoking more memories of home. Although it has only been 6 months, and I have been back for 3 weeks, the punch of nostalgia hits me only now.

Now, at 1.40am. The night is deep and silent, gently cradling the suspended thoughts of those who rest from their hectic lives. The night is also dark and nurturing, encasing the willing in its womb with creative juices freely flowing like amniotic fluid. The night is where I can believe, even if only for a split second, that nothing else exists: just me and my thoughts.

I grasp at flowing, translucent, silken threads, suspended tantalizingly out of reach, reaching up into nothingness. As my mind makes contact with an elusive thread, complex chemistry creates a burst of energy that flows from my fingertips unto the screen.

The sweet, pungent scent of durian lingers on my fingertips; a reminder of dessert, friendship and home. The durian season seems to have exploded on our tiny island, enchanting us with its tangy and sweet (sometimes bitter), mushy fruit. The spell has been cast and we are spellbound.

Dinner: As the chatter of our native language fills the air, I relax and break into a smile. I am home. No where else will you find this myriad of colours, this peaceful coexistance and respect of race, religion, food and culture. It is only when I left that I felt the void and the emptiness, as if an enormous chunk of "who I am" had been ripped away. I could never leave her for another cuz this is my favourite city in the whole wide world.

insatiable at 1:34 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment